Thursday, February 25, 2010

I'm...a Beer Man

Some guys are butt men and some guys are breast men. I am a beer man. We have a secret, yet not so secret, love affair together. Like all relationships we have our good moments and our not so good moments, but the good outweighs the bad. I like to experiment and try new things, and the beer does too. We like to extend our palette beyond the mundane and generic brews. The usual suspects have run their course and we’re getting into a deeper relationship. We’ve even talked about taking the next step and making little brews of our own. I want more than just a six-pack or a full suitcase; I want my own micro-brewery. But we have a long way to go in our relationship to get there. So much more to try, so much more living to do together before we tie ourselves down to such a large commitment. You could say we’re still in the honeymoon phase of our relationship, neither can do any wrong; well, some wrong (i.e. Natty). But we won’t go there. We both want to travel and taste what the world has to offer. I’m not sure if we’ll ever settle down in a particular country. I want to stay true to my German roots, but Beer likes to get me out of my comfort zone when I get complacent. Instead of going to the movie store and bringing back a few different movies, we talk about going to Total Wine and bringing back a variety six-pack. When we go out to eat we try a different beer each time. Recently we’ve fallen in love with Blue Moon and Stella Artois, but I think it’s time to move on—there’s so much more out there. We are limited financially and therefore limited in our selection, but every so often we splurge and go exotic. If I drink wine I feel like I’m cheating on Beer. I don’t drink liquor because there’s nothing to savor, no real flavor. I stay true to my first love, Beer.

I want to start brewing my own beer and eventually develop my own line. I’m trying to think of new and interesting combinations that I can perfect and make into my own brand. Give me some suggestions of beers I should try or your top echelon of brew. If you inspire me enough, I might just name a beer after you.

5 comments:

  1. I would drink beer if it tasted like chocolate. Just sayin. And I believe you have an awesome stein to drink it out of....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you ever tried blueberry or raspberry beer? Its super good, but kind of girly, and I'm pretty sure that the raspberry kind is pink....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lauren, there are beers that try and taste like chocolate. It took me a while to acquire the taste for beer and even longer for coffee, but once you obtain it, it is wonderful.

    Carty, rock those sixers of A & W.

    Doug, now you have 2 beers that will be named after you. An IPA and a Pale Ale. Congrats.

    Andrea, I've had my share of girly/bitch beers. But I will take your word on it.

    ReplyDelete